University of Regina and Collège Mathieu agreement supports post-secondary French education
Jun 28, 2023
The University of Regina (La Cité universitaire francophone) and Collège Mathieu are concluding a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to enable the two institutions to work collaboratively to enhance and expand the range of post-secondary French education available in Saskatchewan.
“The University of Regina recognizes and appreciates the many benefits of working cooperatively with other French-language educational institutions and the Fransaskois community to fulfill our commitment to supporting French education in Saskatchewan,” said Dr. Jeff Keshen, U of R president and vice-chancellor. “Through the active involvement of La Cité universitaire francophone, which leads the University’s French-language programs and activities, this Memorandum of Understanding will provide tremendous opportunities for students in years to come.”
“Collège Mathieu innovates in terms of partnerships with many other post-secondary institutions across the country to deliver training which meets the needs of both the job market and learners. For example, under a collaborative agreement to support nursing-related French language education programs, Collège Mathieu and Saskatchewan Polytechnic have jointly offered a bilingual practical nursing program in the province since 2019. This MOU will enhance collaboration and training opportunities for both institutions,” said Francis Kasongo, President and CEO of Collège Mathieu.
The MOU will lead to the development of a joint three-year action plan aimed at:
- Establishing a dual accreditation system for secondary and post-secondary education in partnership with community partner Conseil des écoles fransaskoises (CÉF).
- Ensuring ongoing cooperation between the Parties in order to promote articulation agreements.
- Coordinating the development of complementary college and university French education programs.
“This agreement and subsequent action plan will help us focus our mutual efforts on enhancing and developing French language education for the benefit of all francophone students in our province,” said Dr. Emmanuel Aito, Dean, La Cité universitaire francophone. “They support our internationalization plan with the goal of making our institutions a destination of choice for both Canadian and international Francophone students.”
The parties also agree to:
- Strengthen and improve the offering of post-secondary services and programs in French.
- Attract Fransaskois, Francophile and international students.
- Become a desirable destination for Canadian and international Francophone students.
- Increase recruitment of international students to French programs at Collège Mathieu and La Cité universitaire at the University of Regina.
- Pursue other mutually beneficial objectives.
According to M. Ronald Ajavon, Director of Education of the Conseil des écoles fransaskoises, with this MOU, “you are reaffirming the importance of this educational continuum by leveraging dynamic exchanges and collaborations between partner institutions while also identifying that gaps in post-secondary French first language education still exist in Saskatchewan. It is the Conseil des écoles fransaskoise’s firm commitment to work collaboratively with the parties to this MOU, its community and provincial partners to further reduce the gaps and to co-create a viable, sustainable, and world-class education continuum that produces highly skilled and high performing French language graduates.”
The MOU will be signed by the parties at formal ceremony this summer and will be witnessed by community partner Conseil des écoles fransaskoises (CÉF).
CONTACT: Return to list