Certificate in French as a Second Language
The only program of its kind west of New Brunswick, this top-quality certificate can prepare you for a bilingual job in Canada or abroad!
Students learn in small groups in an immersive environment while getting to know the Fransaskois community.
This 30-credit full-time program over two terms allows you to achieve an advanced intermediate level of French, both spoken and written.
Please Note: International students may not be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit upon completion of Certificate in French as a Second Language.
For information on the eligibility criteria of the Post-Graduation work permit please click here.
- You must first complete two assessments, first written and then oral.
- Meet the admission requirements of La Cité universitaire francophone at the University of Regina (students from all faculties are admissible).
- A basic knowledge of French is required. In general, the program is intended for students whose knowledge of French is equivalent to that of a student who has completed a core French program (French 30 or equivalent) or for students who have taken university French courses at the beginner level (FRN 101 or equivalent).
- Written placement test (when completing the placement test below, please specify you are interested in the Certificate program)
- Oral evaluation (email invitation from Academic Advisor)
- Admission letter
For high school students:
- Complete the application form
- In Planned Program of Study, select French as a Second Language (Certificate)
|La Cité universitaire francophone|
|email@example.com | 306.585.4828|
FRLS courses are restricted to students who have been accepted into the Certificate in French as a Second Language program.
Semester 1 (September-December)
Semester 2 (January-April)
Principles and Production of Oral French 1
Audio-visual, audio and written authentic cultural documents are the starting point for vocabulary expansion, and for the development of oral comprehension and expression.
*** Corequisite: FRLS 219 ***
Principles and Production of Oral French 2
This intensive course is the continuation of FRLS 116.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 116 with a minimum grade of 60% ***
*** Corequisite: FRLS 220 ***
Principles and Production of Oral French 3
This intensive course is a continuation of FRLS 117.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 117 with a minimum grade of 60% ***
*** Corequisite: FRLS 221 ***
Grammar and Writing 1
Intensive course with emphasis on the study and application of the grammar of written French fundamentals of writing in French, and composition exercises.
Grammar and Writing 2
This intensive course is a continuation of FRLS 219.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 219 with a minimum grade of 60% ***
*** Corequisite: FRLS 117 ***
Grammar and Writing 3
This intensive course is a continuation of FRLS 220.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 220 with a minimum grade of 60% ***
*** Corequisite: FRLST 118 ***
Structure of Oral Discourse
Emphasis on the mastery of grammar rules and the structure of oral narration, description, and explanation. Field experience in a francophone environment.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 118 and FRLS 221, both with a minimum grade of 60%, or permission of the Department Head ***
Written French and Francophone Culture
Further study of the grammar of written French. Study of texts on cultural and social aspects of the francophonie. Exercises in summarizing texts and composition.
*** Prerequisite: FRLS 118 and FRLS 221 with a minimum grade of 60% or permission of Department Head ***
The Certificate is open to students in their first, second, third, fourth or final year of university, whatever their intended or present study program.
Note that this is a full-time program, so it is not possible to take courses other than FSL courses while taking the program.
- $1,000 scholarship ($500 per term), plus access to merit scholarships administered by La Cité
- Language internship in a Francophone community environment
- Access to the Student Services Centre (free tutoring service, job-seeking assistance, etc.)
- Courses offer small-group classes and top-quality